The commentary page is the most widely read section of the newspaper. That means your letter-to-the-editor will be read by most newspaper readers which is an effective way of voicing your opinions. Here are some tips for effective letter writing:
- Choose a timely issue or current newspaper article to respond to.
- Type your letter, rather than writing by hand.
- Keep your letter to 150 words. Some papers allow more words; some allow fewer words. Contact the paper to be sure.
- Be clear and concise. State the relevant facts, your opinion, and provide a suggested course of action or solution.
- Do not use form letters or simply copy a sample letter you receive from us. Use your own words.
- Avoid jargon or technical language.
- Sign your letter with a full name. Also provide address and daytime phone number. Papers will call to verify your letter.
- When emailing your letter, paste the text directly into the email. Do not send attachments.
- When your letter is printed, send copies to your elected officials.
Contact information for some papers:
By web: Visit the USA Today website to submit a letter to the editor
New York Times
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By fax: (212) 556-3622.
By regular mail: Letters to the Editor, The New York Times, 229 West 43rd Street, New York, NY 10036
By email: email@example.com
By regular mail: Letters to the Editor, The Washington Post, 1150 15th Street Northwest, Washington, DC 20071
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By fax (503) 294-4193
By regular mail: Letters to the editor, The Oregonian, 1320 S.W. Broadway, Portland, OR 97201
By email: email@example.com
By fax: (206) 382-6760
By regular mail: Letters Editor, The Seattle Times, P.O. Box 70, Seattle, WA 98111
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By fax: (206) 448-8184
By regular mail: P-I Letters to the Editor, Box 1909, Seattle, WA 98111-1909
By hand, drop your letter off at: Seattle P-I, 101 Elliott Ave. W., Second Floor
Tacoma News Tribune
By email: email@example.com
By fax: (253) 597-8451
By regular mail: The Editor, The News Tribune, PO Box 11000, Tacoma, Wa. 98411
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By fax: (360) 699-6033
By regular mail: Letters from Readers, The Columbian, P.O. Box 180, Vancouver, 98666
By hand, drop your letter off at: 701 W. Eighth St. Vancouver
By email: email@example.com
By regular mail: The Daily Astorian, P.O. Box 210, Astoria, OR 97103
By hand, drop your letter off at: 949 Exchange St. in Astoria, or 140 N. Roosevelt Drive in Seaside.
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By fax: (208) 377-6449
By regular mail: Letters to the Editor, The Idaho Statesman, P.O. Box 40, Boise, ID 83707
Lewiston Morning Tribune
By email: email@example.com
Spokane Spokesman Review
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Los Angeles Times
By email: email@example.com
Anchorage Daily News
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By fax: (907) 258 -2157 Attn: Letters to the Editor
By regular mail: Letters, Anchorage Daily News, Box 149001, Anchorage, AK 99514
By email: email@example.com
By fax: (907) 586-3028
By regular mail: Editor, Juneau Empire, 3100 Channel Drive, Juneau, AK 99801