Britt Freda, Northwest Artists Against Extinction, email@example.com
Joseph Bogaard, Save Our wild Salmon Coalition, 206-300-1003, firstname.lastname@example.org
Peter Stanley, Kittredge Gallery Manager, University of Puget Sound, email@example.com
Elise Richman, Professor, Painting and NWAAE member, University of Puget Sound, 206-679-8915, firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Puget Sound and Save Our wild Salmon host art exhibit celebrating wild salmon and the many benefits they bring to our region
TACOMA, WA (March 8, 2023) – Northwest Artists Against Extinction, a project of the Save Our wild Salmon Coalition, has partnered with University of Puget Sound’s Kittredge Gallery to host an exhibit — Honor: People & Salmon— in March and April.
Honor: People & Salmon is an exhibit featuring thirty Northwest-based artists who have created artwork that evokes the magic and mystique of wild salmon, other fish and wildlife that depend upon them, and the many communities that honor and cherish this emblematic species. Salmon are intrinsic to the cultures and economies of many of the region’s Tribes and an essential food source for the critically endangered Southern Resident orcas.
Participating artists include Israel Shotridge, Josh Udesen, Rachel Teannalach, Amy Gulick, Karen Hackenberg, Jen McLuen, Sue Coccia, Melissa Cole, and Austin Picinich, among others. Visit the exhibition website for the full list of participating artists.
WHEN: The exhibit runs from Monday, March 6 to April 15, 2023.
(The gallery will be closed on March 11-19 during the University’s spring break.)
WHERE: Kittredge Gallery, University of Puget Sound, 1500 N Warner St, Tacoma, WA 98416
THERE ARE TWO SPECIAL EVENTS SCHEDULED IN ASSOCIATION WITH THIS EXHIBIT:
1. Interdisciplinary Panel Discussion (Kittredge Gallery | Tacoma, WA)
- WHEN: Thursday, March 23, 5:00 - 6:30 pm
- WHAT: Interdisciplinary Panel Discussion featuring local leaders, professors, and contributing artists from Honor: People & Salmon. This panel discussion is free and open to the public.
2. Closing Reception (Kittredge Gallery | Tacoma, WA)
- WHEN: Saturday, April 15, 5:00 - 7:00 pm
- WHAT: As a grand finale for the Honor: People & Salmon exhibit, Save Our wild Salmon Coalition and Puget Sound’s Kittredge Gallery will host a closing reception with many of the participating artists in attendance. Washington State Poet Laureate Rena Priest will host a reading from her forthcoming anthology, I Sing The Salmon Home: Poems from Washington State. Ms. Priest will be joined by other contributing poets to read their poems and discuss this collection of poetry. This reception is free and open to the public.
For further information: